Saturday, May 25, 2019

Schaschlik aka German meat skewers

This has been one of my favorite recipes since I was a child and my family was stationed in Germany. I didn't like the onions or bell peppers, but meat + sauce + BACON is just kind of a winner. It's an interesting take because unlike most skewer recipes, this one is braised rather than grilled. Here's a from-scratch recipe I found that looks pretty good:

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/2011/08/german-street-food-greats-schaschlik.html



But I generally go a much, MUCH simpler route. The flavor to me has always been pretty close to barbecue sauce - Kraft Original to be specific. I add a couple other things to it, but it means that prep time is much shorter and I think the taste is very similar to my nearly 40-year-old memories.

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs meat (I use beef, specifically some kind of steak cut like ribeye), cubed into 1" cubes
1-2 large onions, 1" dice
1-2 bell peppers, 1" dice
3 bottles Kraft Original barbecue sauce
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried thyme
1 lb of thick-cut bacon, cut into 1" dice****

Directions:
1. Place the meat, onions, and peppers into a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine barbecue sauce, paprika, curry powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme and mix well. Set aside.
3. Thread meat mixture onto skewers: put on a piece of meat, then a piece of the bacon, then either an onion or pepper (alternating). Repeat until each skewer has 3-5 pieces of meat on it.
4. Working in batches, brown each skewer in a large pan over medium-high heat. Remove skewers from pan and place in a large 15"x10" baking pan or casserole dish.
5. Pour the sauce over the skewers. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour.
6. Pull the pan out and remove the aluminum foil. Check to see if the meat is fully cooked and tender. If it is not, put pan back in oven, uncovered, and check after an additional 30 minutes.
7. Remove from pan and serve. I generally serve it off the skewer and with Spaetzel; if you can't find that, rice works, cabbage works, or just eat it out of a bowl as-is!

**** I normally use precooked bacon because I like my bacon much more cooked than this approach generally results in. You could par-cook the bacon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment