Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Tasting Mamee Shinsegae Ghost Pepper Spicy Chicken Noodles


As I mentioned in my last tasting, Bulmawang The Devil of Fire Ramen claims the title of "spiciest ramen in the world". And as I noted then, I think Mamee Shinsegae Ghost Pepper Spicy Chicken Noodles are way hotter. But it doesn't look like I ever wrote a review, so here it is. 

These noodles come in a cup with an oily sachet. The noodles themselves are black in color...and so is the sachet, at least coming out. Once I mixed it with the noodles it was a deep orange-red. It's a fairly small portion at only 2.82oz (80g). 

I cooked them in the microwave then drained off the water and added the sachet. There was an odd smell to the noodles - not super-off-putting, but definitely somewhat chemical-y. There was nothing even vaguely chicken-like to the flavor, which matches the chemical smell. It's slightly sweet, but that's the only other note. 

Image source: Daebak Foods Facebook page

The heat is instant and lingers. It's right at the edge of my pain threshold - where heat turns to physical pain. At a couple minutes after a bite I could still feel the heat. It wasn't hot enough to make me sweat, but only just - I could feel my forehead wanting to. In fairness, the label is strewn with hints - "daring", "Flaming Spicy Madness", "WARNING: EXTREMELY SPICY". It also includes a Scoville scale - and a challenge! 
EAT IT: Empty the Ghost Pepper Spicy Chicken Cup into your stomach.
SURVIVE IT: Take a video of you struggling to finish the whole cup. (Not this guy!)
ANNOUNCE IT: Post it and tag @daebaknoodles on social media and include #CanOrNotCHALLENGE to be chosen as the lucky winner. 
There's a note to check their FB account for more details but I couldn't find anything even close.  

Nutritional details: 340 calories, 12g of fat, and 7g of protein. 946mg of sodium. 

Verdict: I think this is the spiciest ramen I've had so far. I got it in a package of 6 and this is my 2nd, so I'll finish them all unless I find someone else in one of my hot sauce groups that wants them more.

Taste: 6/10

Heat: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment