Friday, November 3, 2017

Potluck beans

When I need to whip up a quick side dish, like for a potluck, this is my standby. It's crazy simple - so simple, in fact, that you don't need a recipe. What you do need:

1 lb hamburger, pulled pork, ground turkey, whatever you have or want to put in
1 lb bacon, I use pre-cooked that I just dice up
Coupla big cans, or several smaller cans, of canned beans of whatever type/flavor you want
About a cup of sauce: ketchup, BBQ sauce, whatever fits.
A diced onion, some diced chiles, etc. whatever you want.

Directions:
1. Open all the cans
2. Cook the stuff that needs cooking (i.e. hamburger, onion)
3. Mix it all together and simmer for 10-15 min
4. Eat!

Obviously you can doll these up with additional seasonings, spices, etc. to make it your own. Point is that with pre-canned, pre-seasoned beans, I can go from zero to hero in probably 10 minutes.

Here are some pretty common variations I make all the time:

  • Barbecue beans: For the first protein, use BBQ beef/pork/chicken, some brisket, whatever BBQ-type meat you have. For the beans use plain, maple, brown sugar, or BBQ flavor. For the sauce, your preferred BBQ sauce. Yes onion, no chiles generally. 
  • Salsa beans.Use hamburger, chorizo, taco meat, fajita meat, whatever. Bacon or not, I usually skip. Some sort of spicy seasoned beans. For the sauce I'd use either el Pato spicy tomato sauce or whatever salsa I have in the house. Definitely on the onion and chiles. If this sounds like chili, well yeah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment