Sunday, November 8, 2020

Tasting Asha Healthy Ramen Noodles (Extra Spicy with Ghost Pepper, Medium Width Mandarin Noodle)

So today I tried my first Taiwanese ramen, A-sha Mandarin Noodle, Extra Spicy Sauce, with Ghost Pepper. They note on the package that it is non-fried. It's a smaller package than many, at 3.35 oz (95g). Inside I found the noodles, which are wider and almost linguine-like, and the sauce packet, also labeled Extra Spicy with Ghost Pepper. 

The directions were distinctly lacking in specifics, so I boiled the ramen for around 2 minutes or until they hit the right level of chew. Per the packaging I drained them and then added the sauce packet. As I opened the sauce packet there was a distinct and strong aroma of....something, midway between soy and teriyaki. My daughter remarked on the pungency as well. 

The texture was good, and the taste was definitely more soy than anything else. Then again, it didn't say it was chicken, beef, etc. As the flavor lingered it turned somewhat black pepper-y. Heat-wise, there was some spicy but not nearly what I expected of something that had ghost pepper in the name. The sauce left a bit of tingle that lingered for a few minutes after I finished the bowl. 

300 calories, only 1.5 grams of fat and 11 grams of protein, so in terms of "healthy" ramen, it'd be hard to beat this one. Lots of empty carbs of course. And a whopping 1,540 mg of sodium. 

Verdict: I bought this as a 5-pack and will definitely eat them all. 

Taste: 7/10

Heat: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment