Saturday, July 30, 2022

Tasting Mamee Monster x Daebak Ghost Pepper Kari Lontong


This is another new one from me from a local Asian market. Mamee is from Malaysia, and they seem to excel at ghost pepper-based noodles and at having a good mix of heat and taste. This particular one came in at #3 on The Ramen Rater's all-time spiciest ramen list, 2022 edition

The package contains 4 individual packets to go in the noodles: a dry soup base, something called a "ghost pepper creamer", a wet paste where I think the ghost pepper proper was, and a packet of ghost pepper oil marked "Spicy", "Super Spicy", and "Mentally Spicy", I guess based on how much of it you used. 

The directions called for boiling the noodles in 400 ml of water for 5 minutes, then add stuff - so I did, but in stages. 

1. Boiled the noodles and added the dry and creamer packets. Tasted that and didn't catch any heat at all. 

2. Added the wet paste packet. That brought some heat, at least enough to taste, but it faded pretty quickly. 

3. Added the oil. Yes, all of it. That brung the heat in a pretty quick way. It wasn't quite as hot, or as painful, as the previous Mamee Shinsegae I tried in December 2020 - which The Ramen Rater ranked as #4 on the same list. But the heat lingered for at least a couple of minutes after the first bite, and it built a bit as I continued to eat it. 

Noodles were chewy and held up well as I wrote this post - maybe because most of the water had boiled off in the cooking. Notwithstanding the heat, the flavor was a pretty neutral protein - it was sort of a vague curry flavor and the creamer made the soup into more of a curry gravy-type consistency. I added some sesame oil, sesame seeds, and leftover chicken and it was pretty tasty. 

Timed it from the last bite until I couldn't really taste the heat anymore: a little over 8 minutes. Spicy! 

Nutritional details: 583 calories, 28(!)g of fat, and 10g of protein. 1,768mg of sodium. 

Verdict: Can't remember what I paid for them, but dolled up with my extras this was a good mix of heat and flavor. I'd definitely do them again. 

Taste: 7/10

Heat: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment